R.E.A.L Leadership Program
Winter 2014 – Apply Now!
Applications open Sept 3rd – Oct 28th, 2013
The REAL Leadership Program – New Westminster provides Douglas College students with Real Experiences in Applied Leadership through volunteer placements within ongoing New Westminster community programs. Through our partnerships with the City of New Westminster’s Community Schools and the Parks and Recreation Board, each student will be matched to one or two community programs based on their experience and career interests. All students will receive intensive training, supervision, support and evaluation during their placements. The program is open to all Douglas students but highly relevant to students interested in the following career paths: education and teaching, government and non-profit sector, sports and recreation, child and youth care and others.
NEW! After the success of the previous REAL Team, this year’s group (with training and guidance) will be given the opportunity to design, implement and evaluate a community program from scratch. This is a very unique professional opportunity for a student to have earlier in their career.
- Certification in Healthy Childhood Development through HIGH FIVE®
- Program and event planning and evaluation training
- Teamwork and communication skills training and experience
- Experience delivering community programs
- Flexible scheduling to accommodate busy schedules
- Experience working directly with children and youth
- A career development opportunity, resume builder and reference letter
- A certificate of completion from Douglas College
- NEW! REAL experience designing, implementing and evaluating new child and youth programs.
Check out a cool story on one of our past participants:
Intro To Real Program Includes:
- Mandatory training on Saturday November 2nd and Sunday November 3rd
- Students must be available for 3 additional hands-on training days in November
Volunteer placements and programming: January 27th, 2014-March 13th, 2014
- Tuesday, Oct 22nd 5pm-6pm – room 1715 (NWC)
- Wednesday, Oct 23rd 5pm-6pm – room 1730 (NWC)
For more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fill out my online form.